Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Tiara: Dress Up and Imagination




The first tiara I made was for a friend and fellow grad student in a theater design program. Everyday she'd come in to the shop where we were making all the costumes for a show that was a bunch of fairytales for grown ups. (No, not that kind of grown up!) She'd be bombarded with questions as soon as she arrived . . . every day. She was a really nice and collaborative person and was just floored at having to tell so many people what to do.

Thinking about all the princesses we were making for the show and that they didn't have any trouble with this at all, I asked her if she had a tiara. Of course, she said no. So I made one out of sparkly junk lying around, broken and mismatched earrings, sequins and other shiny trash. And I told her to put it on any time she was having a hard time making a decision. She later told me she was amazed at how much easier it is to make a decision and tell some one what to do with a crown on your head. It says you're the one in charge, in power and it does not matter if you disagree with me or think I'm dumb, mean, or not pretty.

Since that time, I have made many tiaras. Their owners don't actually have to put them on for them to work. Several of my friends have them handy in their bottom desk drawer. Just knowing that it's there helps immensely when a decision is called for or when standing firm to someone accustomed to intimidating their way to the top.

So, if you're feeling a bit under the weather, authority wise, get your self the jewelery to prove with out question that you mean what you say and you mean business.

No comments: